We're looking to hire a few more web engineers to join the team at WordPress.com VIP (especially those based in Asia). We provide enterprise consulting and support for some of the largest WordPress sites on the web, including Time.com, People.com, FiveThirtyEight.com, QZ.com, TheSun.co.uk, Heavy.com, Variety.com and many more. This is a fully remote gig (yes, you could work from anywhere, including the Dreamplex coworking space), and Automattic (our parent company) is a wonderful place to work with smart and capable teammates that you can learn from them every day. Benefits: Open vacation policy, home office setup and coworking allowances, open maternity/paternity, three month sabbatical every five years, company travel fully covered (we went to Barcelona in February and are going to Vancouver in September), insurance premiums 100% covered.
Here's the skills we are looking for:
- Advanced proficiency coding with WordPress. Low-level language or systems experience a plus, but not required.
- Must be comfortable working primarily in a customer-facing role, including providing support and training to other developers.
- You enjoy collaborating with other developers, reviewing code, and making recommendations on technique or approach.
- Great troubleshooting skills. Must be able to take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions—and importantly, keep our customers apprised of progress throughout.
- The ability to iterate and ship ideas quickly, with loose (at best) direction.
- Fluent in English
Here's some cool stuff on Automattic:
- Choose your own adventure: Everyone works from the location they choose. We’re spread out all over the world in more than 50 countries. We track about 70 percent of our projects on P2-themed WordPress.com blogs, 25 percent in private chat rooms, and the rest on Slack. Because of the geographic variance, we’re active 24/7. We care about the work you produce, not just the hours you put in.
- Coming on board: When you make it past the interview stage we’ll do a project together on contract, typically lasting between two to six weeks depending on how much time you can spend, to see how we work together. When you join full-time, you’ll do customer support for WordPress.com for your first three weeks and spend a week in support annually, for evermore, regardless of your position. We believe an early and ongoing connection with the people who use our products is irreplaceable.
- Meeting up: We get the whole company together once a year for seven days so that Automatticians can create bonds that influence them all year long. So far we’ve done Grand Meetups in San Francisco, California; La Paz, Mexico; Oracle, Arizona; Breckenridge, Colorado; Mont-Sainte-Anne, Québec; Seaside, Florida; Budapest, Hungary; San Diego, California; Santa Cruz, California; Park City, Utah; and Whistler, Canada. In addition to our all company Grand Meetup, teams meet for five to seven days to brainstorm team-level strategy and bond in locales ranging from Boulder to Buenos Aires, Las Vegas to Lisbon, Montréal to Mexico City, and Vienna to Vietnam. If you join our merry band, expect to travel three-to-four weeks per year.
- Diversity and Inclusion: In 2014 we started to work, as a company, on facilitating spaces for discussions about diversity at Automattic. And at the 2016 Grand Meetup with all of our employees across 50 countries, we decided to share with the rest of the world what we are doing about diversity and inclusion.
- What do we look for? Automatticians are curious, driven, compassionate, tenacious, autonomous, friendly, independent, collaborative, communicative, supportive, self-motivated, and amazing with .gifs. We want to work with people interested in making the web and the world a better place. Think you’ve got what it takes? Apply today.
- Getting to know us: Would you like to know a bit more about what it’s like to be part of Automattic? Check out this Business Insider interview with Matt on how our company runs without offices or email. Meet a few colleagues (aka Automatticians) and hear about their experiences in their own words. Take a look at all of the things we accomplished in 2016.
Job Listing: https://automattic.co